About Chantilly, Virginia
The city of Chantilly is situated in western Fairfax County in Northern Virginia, and is a part of the larger Washington metropolitan area. The town is around 25 miles away from Washington via interstate 66.The small city enjoys a rural setting, and is not far from the Dulles International Airport. Major civil war engagements, including the famous Battle of Chantilly happened in this area and the Smithsonian Foundation maintains a major war remembrance facility within this area in commemoration.
Popular Destinations in Chantilly
There is a wide range of attractions and destinations for exploration in Chantilly, Virginia. Some of the recommended travel spots include:
Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum: This must-visit educational facility is situated near Dulles International Airport off Route 28. Some notable features here include an IMAX theater, flight simulators, and a soaring observation tower that provides panoramic views of the countryside. Education and family based activities are also offered here to keep the little ones busy throughout their visit.
Sully Historic Site: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the 1799-built Sully Plantation features well kept gardens, slave quarters, a number of outer buildings. The home, gardens, plantation itself and exhibits illustrate the daily life of the yonder year’s wealthy landowners who depended on works of artisans and slave labor to maintain their lifestyles. This historic site was slated for demolition when Dulles International Airport was being built but was saved by an Act of Congress.
Ellanor C. Lawrence Park: This is a 650-acre park that features a welcome center housed in an 18th century farmhouse. Attractions include interpretive programs that educate the visitors about the history of Chantilly, live animal displays, and exhibits. Visitors here can discover the cultural history of the land, watch birds in flights, rediscover nature, attend an educational program, and participate in organized sports.
Ox Hill Battlefield Park: This is a small park at Ox Hill that shows a glimpse into the history of the American Civil War. It is a Cultural Resource Park, meaning that it is a protected historic property that are of significant importance to the Fairfax County.
National Firearms Museum: This museum mainly focuses on the history of firearms and their evolution through the years in America. It is owned and operated by the National Rifle Association and its main focus is on the preservation of heritage for firearms and promotion of gun collecting. The themed galleries follow a timeline of firearm evolution and usage. The museum exhibits more than 3000 different types of firearms.
Luxury Lodging in Chantilly
Visitors will be delighted to know that there is a range of luxury hotels in and around Chantilly. Here are some of the top hotels to consider:
- Candlewood Suites Washington-Dulles Herndon
- Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
- Hyatt Dulles
- Hyatt Fairfax at Fair Lakes
- Hyatt Regency Reston
- Omni Charlottesville Hotel
- Sheraton Reston Hotel
- The Boar’s Head Inn
- The Jefferson Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
- The Westin Richmond
- The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center
- Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles
- Williamsburg Inn
- Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
Airports In or Nearby Chantilly
Interested in chartering a private jet to Chantilly, Virginia? Chantilly is part of the Washington metropolitan area and there are many reliable airports near it. Here are some of the airports to consider if you are traveling by a chartered flight:
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD): Located approximately 7 miles away rom Chantilly, the international airport is owned and operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority and is open to the public. The airport has a main terminal, two midfield terminal buildings as well as four concrete runways in the 1L/19R, 1C/19C, 1R/19L and 12/30 direction.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA): Located less than 30 miles away from Chantilly, the airport provides United States immigration facilities for corporate jet traffic. The airport has three operational terminals as well as three asphalt runways that are in the 1/19, 4/22 and 15/33 direction.
- Leesburg Executive Airport (JYO): Located approximately 17 miles away from Chantilly, Leesburg Executive is a town-owned airport that offers facilities for general aviation flights. The airport covers an area of more than 200 acres and has a single asphalt runway in the 17/35 direction.
- Manassas Regional Airport (HEF): Located less than 20 miles away from Chantilly, Manassas Regional is a city-owned airport that covers more than 800 acres of land. The airport is used mainly for general aviation purposes and features two asphalt runways that are in the 16L/34R and 16R/34L direction.
- Montgomery County Airpark (GAI): Located approximately 36 miles from Chantilly, Montgomery County is a local airport owned by the Montgomery County Revenue Authority. It has one terminal building, covers an area of more than 120 acres and has a single asphalt runway in the 14/32 direction.
- Hagerstown Regional Airport (HGR): Located less than 80 miles away from Chantilly, the domestic airport is owned and operated by the Washington County. The airport covers an area of nearly 700 acres and has two asphalt runways in the 9/27 and 2/20 direction. Most of the airport’s aircraft operations are general aviation based.
- Charlottesville–Albemarle Airport (CHO): Located less than 90 miles from Chantilly, the domestic airport is owned by the Charlottesville Albemarle Airport Authority. The airport provides general aviation facilities which include an executive terminal that offers comprehensive services. The airport features a single asphalt runway that is designated in the 3/21 direction.
- Richmond International Airport (RIC): Richmond International is known as a joint civil-military airport that is owned and operated by the Capital Region Airport Commission. The airport features three asphalt runways that are in the 16/34, 2/20 and 7/25 direction respectively.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Chantilly?