About Chennai, India
Located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal is Chennai, the capital city of the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Being the 4th largest city in the country and 36thmetropolitan city in the world, Chennai is home to over 4.5 million residents. The city is a major educational, economic, commercial, industrial and cultural center. Chennai is also referred to as the “Detroit of India” due its automobile industry. The city has a rich heritage and features many traditions, and is often called the Cultural Capital of India.
Popular Destinations in Chennai
There are many tourist destinations and attractions around Chennai to explore and here is a quick look at some of the best spots:
Arignar Anna Zoological Park: Established in 1855, this is the first ever zoo in India. The park was originally situated in the Moor Market but was later moved to its present spot, Vandalur, in 1976. The zoo covers an area of over 500 hectares and is home to approximately 170 species of exotic and local animals. Some of the wildlife species found here are elephants, lions, hyenas, tigers, panthers, and many more. Lion safaris and elephant rides are available. Visitors have the option of walking the entire stretch of the park or take rides on battery operated vehicles in their attempt to discover its many attractions.
Semmozhi Poonga: This 20-acre park is located at the city’s center and was opened in 2010.Its well-maintained gardens have over five hundred varieties of plants and trees from all parts of the world. Some of the trees found here existed before the park was established and are over 100 years old. The plant species include aromatic herbs and medicinal varieties. Both adults and children will find this park exciting to explore.
Kapaleeswarar Temple: This is one of the oldest temples in Chennai. But going by the songs of Nayanmars, the temple is believed to have been built during the 7th century by Pallava kings. The temple is an all-representative specimen of the Dravidian style of architecture and sculptures.
National Art Gallery: This facility was founded in 1907, and has four divisions – the Decorative Art Gallery, Indian Traditional Art Gallery, Ravi Varma Painting Gallery and Tanjore Painting Gallery. On exhibit in these galleries include some of the oldest handicraft and painting specimens, and that date back to the 11th Also here is the Rock and Cave Art Gallery that features natural-looking caves.
Dash-n-Splash: This is a water amusement park that covers a huge area of the Mevallur Kuppam Village. With its wide variety of slides with varied heights and lengths, this amusement park offers visitors, in particular those with families, hours of pure excitement and joy. Some slides here are over 30 feet high. Apart from the slides, there are several swimming pools, manmade rainfall showers, and more to enjoy.
Luxury Lodging in Chennai
Chennai is ranked as the one of the best cities in India, thus it will be easy to find an accommodation or hotel in the luxury range. Here are some of the best hotels the city has to offer:
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park
- Hilton Chennai
- Hotel Novotel Chennai Sipcot
- Hyatt Regency Chennai
- ITC Grand Chola
- Kohinoor Asiana Hotel
- My Fortune, Chennai
- Park Hyatt Chennai
- Radisson Blu Hotel GRT Chennai
- Somerset Greenways Chennai
- Southern Spice
- Taj Club House
- Taj Coromandel
- The Leela Palace
- The Park Chennai
- The Raintree Hotel
- The Westin Chennai Velachery
- Trident, Chennai
- Vivanta by Taj — Connemara
- Vivanta by Taj — Fishermans Cove, Chennai
Airports In or Nearby Chennai
Seeking a private jet charter to Chennai, India? As Chennai is the biggest commercial and industrial centre in South India, it is no surprise that many reliable airports are serving the city. Here are some of the airports that are nearest to Chennai:
- Chennai International Airport (MAA): Located approximately 13 miles away from the city centre, Chennai International Airport is owned by the Airports Authority of India. The airport has one passenger terminal complex that consists of an interconnected international and domestic terminal via a link building. There is an asphalt runway in the 07/25 direction and an asphalt-concrete runway in the 12/30 direction.
- Tiruchirappalli International Airport (TRZ): Located approximately 200 miles from Chennai, the international airport is owned by the Ministry of Civil Aviation. It features two adjacent terminals which one used to facilitate domestic and international air traffic. The airport also features a single asphalt runway in the 09/27 direction.
- Tirupati Airport (TIR): Located approximately 80 miles away from Chennai, Tirupati is a domestic airport that is owned by the Airports Authority of India. In July 2015, the airport completed its modernization project and now has two terminals. There is one asphalt runway that is designated in the 08/26 direction.
- Puducherry Airport (PNY): Located approximately 100 miles from Chennai, Puducherry is a public-owned local airport that can facilitate charter flights. The airport has a single asphalt runway that is designated in the 07/25 direction.
- Kadapa Airport (CDP): Located approximately 160 miles from Chennai, the local airport covers an area of more than 660 acres and has one terminal building that can handle up to 100 passengers during peak hours. The airport has a single asphalt runway in the 11/29 direction.
- HAL Bangalore Airport (VOBG): Located approximately 205 miles from Chennai, HAL Bangalore is the preferred destination as a business hub and for general aviation operations. The airport consists of a single asphalt runway in the 09/27 direction.
- Salem Airport (SXV): Located less than 215 miles away from Chennai, the airport is government-owned and operated by the Airports Authority of India. It has one asphalt runway in the 04/22 direction and a terminal building that can handle up to 100 passengers at a time.
- Thanjavur Air Force Station (TJV): Located approximately 208 miles from Chennai, the airport is operated by the Indian Air Force and has two concrete runways in the 07/25 and 14/32 direction respectively.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Chennai?