About Winchester, England
Winchester is a city located in the county of Hampshire in England. The city is home to over 45,000 residents, according to the last known census. The city developed from Venta Belgarum, a Roman town that later turned into an Iron Age oppidum. Its main landmark is the Winchester Cathedral, one of the largest of its kind. Winchester is also home to the University of Winchester and Winchester College, the oldest public education institution in the country that still uses its original building structures.
Popular Destinations in Winchester
Looking for activities once your private jet arrives in Winchester? The city’s main attractions today include historical architecture, family attractions, museums, modern art galleries and varied festivals. Here is a look at some of its best tour destinations:
City Museum: This museum showcases the history of Winchester since the Iron Age to date. Highlights of the City Museum include reconstructed Victorian-style Shops, mosaics, pot design and brass rubbing. Visitors also get to try on period costumes.
Winchester College: This is a public school founded in 1832 with an association to New College, Oxford. Opened to students in 1934, some of the oldest buildings in the school, including Chamber Court and Flint Court have been preserved perfectly to date. The oldest chamber in the school, Seventh Chamber, is also in a good shape. The school chapel still retains the medieval stained glass, misericords, a reredos and van-faulted roof. For generations, scholars engraved their names on the cloisters.
Winchester Cathedral: This church was built towards the end of the 11th century and has undergone many renovations since. Foundations of earlier buildings can still be seen on the northern façade, while the nine-columned tracery window and dainty flanking towers date back to the 14th century. The interior of the church is characterized by bronze statues from the 17th century, late-Gothic fan vaulting, and Romanesque sections of the wall, 13th century paintings, and more. Winchester Cathedral is divided into several chapels, including Lady Chapel, Chapel of Guardian Angels. The Cathedral Library is home to the famous Winchester Bible from the 12th century.
Winchester Castle: This castle was built when William the Conqueror was still in power in 1067 but was destroyed by the parliament after almost 600 years during the reign of Oliver Cromwell. It was then restored for Charles II in 1683 by Wren. The castle has a rich historical background – Richard The Lionheart came here prior to his coronation in Winchester Cathedral in 1194, King Henry III was born in this castle, the Doomsday Book was kept here by William the Conqueror, the first parliament by Henry I was held here, the trial against Sir Walter Raleigh for conspiring against James I was held in the Law Hall. The Great Hall is the only surviving structure in the compound as well as the legendary table where King Arthur held his Round Table.
Luxury Lodging in Winchester
Seeking luxury accommodations once your private jet has arrived in Winchester?
- Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire
- Holiday Inn Winchester
- Hotel du Vin Winchester
- Lainston House
- Oakley Hall Hotel
- Wykeham Arms
Restaurants in Winchester
1 Michelin star:
- Black Rat:
88 Chesil Street, SO23 0HX Winchester
Airports In or Nearby Winchester For Private Jets
Interested in chartering a private jet to Winchester, England? There are a number of airports in and nearby Winchester to use for private jet travel. Here is a list of the closest airports to Winchester:
- Southampton Airport (SOU): Located approximately 12 miles away from Winchester and 4 miles northeast of Southampton, the airport is operated by Southampton International Airport Limited. The airport sits at an elevation of about 44 feet above mean sea level and has a single asphalt runway in the 02/20 direction.
- Bournemouth Airport (BOH): Located less than 40 miles away from Winchester and 4 miles northeast of Bournemouth, the airport is owned and operated by Manchester Airports Group. The airport sits at an elevation of 38 feet above mean sea level and features a single asphalt runway in the 08/26 direction.
- London Heathrow Airport (LHR): Located approximately 55 miles away from Winchester and 14 miles west of Central London, the airport is operated by Heathrow Airport Limited. The airport has four operational passenger terminals and two grooved asphalt runways in the 09L/27R and 09R/27L directions respectively.
- London Gatwick Airport (LGW): Located approximately 78 miles away from Winchester and 3.1 miles north of Crawley’s central area, the airport is operated by Gatwick Airport Limited and is open for public use. The airport has an elevation of 203 feet and features two asphalt runways in the 08R/26L and 08L/26R direction.
- London Luton Airport (LTN): Located approximately 83 miles away from Winchester and 1.7 miles east of Luton’s town centre, the airport is owned by the Luton Borough Council. The airport features a single asphalt runway in the 08/26 direction, and it is equipped with a Category IIIB Instrument Landing System which allows the airport to continue its services in low visibility weather conditions.
- Gloucestershire Airport (GLO): Located approximately 86 miles away from Winchester and 4 miles west of Cheltenham, the airport is open for public and military use. It is a large general aviation airfield standing at an elevation of 101 feet. There are three asphalt runways in the 04/22, 09/27 and 18/36 directions, and one grass runway in the 04G/22G direction.
- Bristol Airport (BRS): Located less than 100 miles away from Winchester and 8.1 miles southwest of Bristol’s city centre, the airport is owned by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan. The airport sits at an elevation of 622 feet and features a single asphalt runway in the 09/27 direction.
- London City Airport (LCY): Located approximately 109 miles away from Winchester, and less than 7 miles east of London, the airport sits at an elevation of 19 feet. It features a single grooved concrete runway in the 09/27 direction.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Winchester?