About Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Located on the Persian Gulf, Sharjah is the cultural capital of the United Arab Emirates. Even with that distinction, it is considered to be more conservative than Dubai, its southern neighbor. With a population of more than 1,400,000 in a total area measuring more than 90 square mile, Sharjah is the location of Air Arabia’s headquarters. One of the free-trade zones in the UAE, Sharjah Airport International Free Zone (SAIF-Zone), has gotten the attention and investment of over 90 countries, and over 6000 companies currently operate out of SAIF Zone.
Popular Destinations in Sharjah
Looking for activities once your private jet arrives in Sharjah? Sharjah is home to a large number of tourist attractions. Some of the most popular ones include:
Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilisation: If visitors have questions about Islam, this well-curated museum has the answers. Located on a waterfall, the Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilisation is a magnificently-converted Souq. Astronomy, mathematics and other Arabic scientific accomplishments, the importance of the ritual hajj, and other aspects of the Islamic faith are featured in the ground-floor galleries. Jewelry, textiles, woodwork, and ceramics are some of the artifacts and Islamic art spanning 1400 years and the subject of exhibits on the upper floors. Below the central dome is a not-to-be-missed zodiac mosaic.
Sharjah Heritage Museum: If visitors find the traditions and Emirati culture mystifying, this creatively curated museum can help clear up the confusion. Folk medicine, wedding ceremonies, marriage, holiday celebrations, burial rituals, birth rituals, religious values, living in the desert, and other various aspects of life are addressed in each of the five galleries. This educational experience is made more satisfying by the superb English paneling and the quality of its original objects.
Book Mall: For those in need of a book to curl up with, there is no better place to find it than the Book Mall, located near Al-Qasba Canal. For a fee, Internet access is available in this massive bookshop. Travel books, English language fiction, and other genres can be found here, as well as a small café.
Casa Samak: It is debatable which is more impressive at this beachfront seafood and fish establishment – the food or the Gulf views. Thanks to flawlessly-crafted plates and dock-fresh ingredients, there is almost always a waiting line at Casa Samak. A recently-added option includes a barbecue-buffet.
Al Gahwa al-Shaabiya: Visitors may know ahead of time that Al Galwa al-Shaabiya is quite popular among the locals. Its easy Arabic snacks, yummy ginger milk, local coffee, and mint tea compliments the lagoon over which it looks. During the evenings, patrons may be found gazing upon the water of the lagoon as it reflects the city lights or playing a friendly game of backgammon.
Luxury Lodging in Sharjah
Seeking luxury accommodations once your private jet has arrived in Sharjah? Sharjah boasts a plethora of luxurious hotels, resorts and private residences for travelers to stay at, including:
- Conrad Sharjah
- Four Points by Sheraton Hotel and Serviced Apartments
- Hyatt Regency Sharjah
- Hyatt Sharjah
- Le Meridien Sharjah
- Marriott Suites Sharjah
- Novotel Sharjah Nagar Sharjah
- Radisson Blu Hotel Sharjah Kharadi
- Sayaji Hotel
- The Westin Sharjah Koregaon Park
Airports In or Nearby Sharjah For Private Jets
There are a number of airports in and near Sharjah. This makes it easy to travel to and from the city by air. Some of the noteworthy airports include:
- Dubai International Airport (DXB): Dubai International Airport is one of the most decorated airports in the world. The airport is located six miles away from Sharjah, and is an excellent choice for anyone planning on visiting the city. The airport sits at an elevation of 62 feet above sea level and has two asphalt runways measuring 13,123 feet and 14,600 feet in length, and designated in the 12L/30R and 12R/30L directions respectively. Dubai International Airport has a passenger turnover of more than 80 million passengers a year, making it one of the busiest in the world.
- Sharjah International Airport (SHJ): Sharjah International Airport is located seven miles away from Sharjah. It is one of the major airports used to access the city. The versatile airport has enough capacity to accommodate wide body aircraft and also provides services such as aircraft repair and hangar rental to commercial and private aircraft owners. Sharjah International Airport sits at an altitude of 116 feet above sea level and has a single asphalt runway measuring 13,000 feet in length and designated in the 12/30 direction. The airport serves more than 9 million passengers annually.
- Ras Al Khaimah International Airport (RKT): Located 38 miles away from downtown Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah airport is very convenient for travelers to the city. The airport stands at an elevation of 94 feet above sea level, and has a single asphalt runway measuring 12,000 feet in length. The runway is designated in the 16/34 direction and is commonly used by private and charter aircraft due to low commercial airline numbers using the facility. That said, the airport serves a few commercial airlines serving international destinations such as Stuttgart and Cairo.
- Fujairah International Airport (FJR): Fujairah International Airport is located in the city of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates, around 60 miles away from Sharjah. Fujairah International Airport has two runways measuring 3,000 and 2,600 feet in length. The airport has slightly over 1,200 flight movements a year, making it ideal for private aircraft users. The airport stands an elevation of 1,500 feet above sea level and is a joint public/military airport.
- Al Ain International Airport (AAN): Located 75 miles away from Sharjah, Al Ain International Airport was opened in 1994 making it a relatively young airport. The public airport serves a small number of commercial airlines. It stands at an elevation of 866 feet above sea level, and has a single asphalt runway measuring 13,000 feet in length. The runway is designated in the 01/19 direction. The airport is generally favored by private and chartered aircraft users.
- Khasab Air Base (KHS): Khasab Air Base is located around 90 miles away from the city of Sharjah. It has a single runway measuring 9,800 feet in length, and equipped with a category 1 ILS landing system. The airport is mainly used by private and chartered jets, with no commercial aircraft using the facility.
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH): Abu Dhabi International Airport is one of the major airports in the United Arab Emirates. It is located around 200 miles away from Sharjah. The airport has a single 9,800-foot asphalt runway designated in the 04/22 direction. It serves more than 5 million passengers annually.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Sharjah?