For many people, an adventurous trip to Madrid is the pinnacle of excitement. You will find few cultures that have such a wealth of history, culture, and art to celebrate. Arriving by private plane to Madrid, Spain only adds to the delight of a luxurious vacation to explore the art and culture Madrid has to offer. These are a few fine examples of the experiences you can enjoy while in Madrid.
The Golden Triangle of Art
This is a term coined to describe three Madrid art museums located in close proximity to each other. Some people visit all three in one day while others like to spread them out and savor each one in its own right, soaking up their cultural significance and appreciating the art and exhibits housed inside.
- Prado Museum (Museo Nacional del Prado) – The museum features important works of European art dating from the 12th through the early 19th centuries and is based on the Spanish Royal Collection. It is widely considered to be one of the greatest art museums in the world and remains one of the most visited.
- Reina Sofia Museum (Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia) – Dedicated to 20th century art, Reina Sofia is primarily dedicated to Spanish art and features works by Picasso, Joan Miró, and Salvador Dalí.
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum – This museum fills in gaps in the selections the other two prominent museums offer by including a wide range of later 20th century art from artists around the globe and by offering more primitive works of art than Prado Museum has on display.
There are, of course, other art museums to visit in Madrid. In fact, you can choose from many museums that may cater to specific art interest you have. These three are considered the important, overall, to the artistic community and are convenient for those taking a quick trip or longer excursion by airplane to the city.
Churches and Art in Madrid
Religion and art go hand in hand throughout history. This is truly evident in many of the stunning churches and cathedrals located in Madrid. In fact, some would say the buildings themselves are stunning works of art. From the interior paintings to the unique architecture, many of these works of art are open for public tours.
Some of the churches you may want to visit after leaving your private aircraft behind include:
- San Nicolás de los Servitas (the oldest in Madrid with a bell tower dating back to the 12th century).
- Jerome Church
- Isidore Church
- Basílica of San Francisco el Grande
- Church of San José
- Basílica de San Miguel
- Church of San Antonio de los Alemanes
Beyond the churches, architecture, bullfighting, and visual art, Madrid has a rich performing arts community to explore as well.
Performing Arts in Madrid
Just as famous paintings and other works of art explore the rich history and culture of Spain, so does music and dance. The Teatro Real is the stunning opera house for the city. Don’t let the façade of the building put you off. The interior is as opulent and beautiful as the musical works of art performed there.
Then there is the Auditorio Nacional de Música, where the Madrid Symphony Orchestra performs, along with many other prominent performances over the course of a year.
The bespoke travel arm of Presidential Aviation specializes in arranging fully customized travel experiences to suit your interests and lifestyle to any destination throughout the world, including Spain, of course.
Call us today so we can handle all the arrangements, including travel by private aircraft, for you. This allows you to focus on anticipating and enjoying your trip to Madrid while leaving us to sort out the details.