About Boise, Idaho
Boise is the capital city of Idaho. It is located along the Boise River and serves as the county seat of Ada County. As of 2013, the city is estimated to have more than 214,000 residents. The metropolitan area lies on flat plains and mountains can be seen from the city rising in the northeast and stretching all the way to the nearby city of Eagle. Boise serves as the headquarters of major companies including Bodybuilding.com, Idaho Pacific Lumber Company and WinCo Foods. In addition to being a regional hub of Indie music, jazz and theater, Boise is also home to one of the largest Basque communities in the world.
Popular Destinations in Boise
For many years, Boise has been nicknamed the ‘City of Trees.” Contrary to that, the city experiences high desert-like climate and there is little or no rain in the summer. But take a short drive into the ski hill or go on a hike up the foothill and you will discover why this name fits the city. There is a green canopy which stretches from downtown to the valley floor. Here are more attractions to see:
Idaho Botanical Gardens: Until its closure in 1973, this botanical garden served as the nursery and farm for Idaho State Penitentiary. The highlights of the garden include 13 specialty gardens, each of which has a unique focus. Focus areas include themes such as butterfly and hummingbird, iris, roses, herb, contemporary English, peony, water, cactus, outlaw field, native plants of Idaho, meditation and children. There is also an outdoor art gallery that features garden sculptures.
Basque Museum and Cultural Center: Visitors can get a glimpse of Basque’s heritage through tours, exhibitions and collections here. The museum is housed in Cyrus Jacobs-Uberuaga Boarding House and collections featured include sports, traditional music, food, housing and dance.
Julius Davis Park: The park is home to a number of attractions which include Boise Zoo, Idaho State Historical Museum, Idaho Black History Museum, Boise Art Museum and the Discovery Center of Idaho. Other features of the park include recreational areas, lagoons and a rose garden. The Boise River can be easily accessed from the park.
World Center for Birds of Prey: As the name suggests, the center propagates birds of prey for release into the wild. Different bird species, including falcons, eagles and condors among others, are bred at the center until they are old enough to be released and live on their own.
Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial: The memorial is located in the city’s cultural district and contains about 60 quotes by leaders of human rights throughout the years. The attic of the memorial features a statue of Anne Frank. The garden on which this memorial sits is adorned with trees and plants from various parts of the world as well as statues of historic human rights leaders.
Luxury Lodging in Boise
There are decent accommodation facilities in and around Boise, Idaho that will make your stay an enjoyable one. These hotels and resorts include:
- Hotel 43
- Shore Lodge
- Sun Valley Resort
- Teton Springs Lodge & Spa
- The Coeur d’Alene Resort
- The Grove Hotel
Airports In or Nearby Boise
Interested in chartering a private jet to Boise, Idaho? Being the capital city of Idaho and its largest city, Boise has a number of airports that are nearby which can facilitate private jet charters:
- Boise Airport (BOI): Boise Airport is a joint civil-military airport located 3 miles south of the city. A portion of the airport is also home to the Gowen Field Air National Guard Base. The airport is currently used as a general and commercial aviation airport, and covers an area of 5,000 acres. It is situated 2,871 above sea level and contains three asphalt runways.
- Hidden Lake Airport (FA40): Located 4 miles northeast of the central business district of New Port Richey, Hidden Lake Airport is only open for private use. The airport has a single runway that is paved with asphalt and covers an area of 42 acres. There are also 5 multi-engine and 75 single-engine aircraft based at the airport.
- Ontario Municipal Airport (ONO): The airport is a general aviation facility that is located approximately 3.7 miles west of the central business district of Ontario which is a city in the Malheur County. The airport is situated 2,193 feet above sea level and covers an area of 480 acres. It also contains a single asphalt runway that designated in the 14/32 direction.
- Caldwell Industrial Airport (EUL): It is city-owned public airport that is located 3 miles southeast of Caldwell. The airport has a single asphalt runway and covers an area of 154 acres. The airport is mostly a general aviation facility and some of the aircraft that are based here include helicopters, ultra-light and multi-engine aircraft.
- Nampa Municipal Airport (MAN): This is city-owned airport that is open for public use. It is used for general, industrial, military, emergency and private aviation. The airport is situated 2,537 feet above sea level and covers an area of 126 acres. It contains a single asphalt runway that is designated in the 11/29 direction.
- Mountain Home Air Force Base (MUO): Located 12 miles southwest of the city of Mountain Home, Mountain Home Air Force Base is a U.S. Air Force installation. The base was set up to provide combat support and combat airpower capabilities to sustain and respond to worldwide contingency operations. The air base has one asphalt-concrete runway designated in the 12/30 direction.
- Idaho City-US Forest Service Airport (U98): The airport is located one mile southwest of Idaho City and is open for public use. It is publicly owned by the US Forest Service and contains one gravel-turf runway designated in the 4/22 direction. The airport is also a host to military, air taxi and transient general aviation aircraft operations.
- Smith Prairie Airport (2U0): The airport is located 2 miles southeast of Prairie and is open for public use. Smith Prairie Airport is mainly used for transient general aviation and some for military aviation purposes. It has one runway that is paved with a turf surface and is designated in the 6/24 direction.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Boise?